Football tips – Brugge vs Manchester United – Champions League
Kick off: 19:45
Club Brugge and Manchester United will be face to face this Wednesday from 19:45. The game is part of the Uefa Champions League play-off and the guests are clearly in pole-position to get in the group stage after they won 3-1 at Old Trafford last week. The Belgians are coming after two defeats in a row, 1-3 vs United as I said, and 0-2 vs Waregem in Jupiler League last weekend. Brugge need a 2-0 win or a clear victory, by a margin of at least three goals, to qualify in the next round. Their mission is really difficult, almost impossible, considering that United are in a fabulous form right now.
- The last time when Brugge reached the group phase was in 2005-2006, being eliminated from a group that involved Juventus, Bayern Munchen and Rapid Wien.
- They eliminated Panathinaikos in the previous round, 4-2 on agg.
- Club Brugge are without victory against an English club since February 1995 when they defeated Chelsea, 1-0. They get two draws and lost twice since then.
On the other hand, Manchester United obtained a great result in front of the own fans so they have no concerns at the moment. Van Gaal’s team did not impress us this summer in the friendly games, but they did it when it mattered, in the competitive ones. To be more precise, Man United played four official matches this campaign, three in Premier League (W2 – D1) without conceding a goal, and the one against Brugge in the first leg. If we talk about away matches, United ticked four wins and a draw in the last five, including here two friendlies.
- Man United could be back in UCL group stage after a year of break.
- They played only one away game this season, 1-0 vs Aston Villa almost two weeks ago in Premier League.
- Phil Jones is still unavailable, but even so, United showed a great form in the defense in the first four matches.