Clash between two giants in Skopje
Photo source : www.picturejoliet.com
Date : 08.08.2017
Kick off : 19:45 PM
Tuesday, 08.08.2017, set to start at 19:45, the Real Madrid vs Manchester United encounter will be the 42nd installment of the UEFA Super Cup. The Champions League champs (Real Madrid) and the Europa League champs (Manchester United) will go head to head at “Philip II Arena”.
Team facts and news
- “The Blancos” did outstanding in the previous season. They got the league title in Spain after a 5 year drought and also clinched their 12th Champions League trophy, becoming the first team in history to win the biggest European title in back to back years.
- Real Madrid set quite a record last season, as they succeeded in scoring at least 1 goal in each of their 60 games played.
- Just as in every year since he is at the club, Cristiano Ronaldo was the team’s top goalscorer, with 42 goals netted. The Portuguese star is behind with training due to a longer vacation, but it remains Zidane’s decision whether to play him or not.
- The European champions failed to make a “splash” in this transfer window. They brought in new pieces such as Theo Hernandez from Atletico Madrid and Dani Ceballos from Real Betis.
- Real Madrid took part in 4 friendly games this pre-season. They got a victory against the MLS All-Star team (after penalties), but lost out in the rest of the games against Manchester United, Manchester City and Barcelona.
Probable line-up: Navas – Carvajal, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo – Modrić, Casemiro, Kroos – Isco/Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale
- “The Red Devils” seem to have finally completed the reconstruction process. Their last prolific season was the 2012/2013 one, back when the legendary Sir Alex Ferguson was still at the helf of the team and won their last Premier League trophy.
- In the previous season, United won their first European trophy, the Europa League one, after a 9 year drought. Thanks to this accomplishment, they qualified straight for the Champions League group stages.
- As is the case with their opponent, the Manchester team did not make too many squad changes. Ibrahimovic is the only one to leave the club, Lukaku being his replacement. On top of that, they brought in Victor Lindelof from Benfica, but also Nemanja Matic from Chelsea.
- The team coached by Jose Mourinho disputed 7 friendly matches during this pre-season. Their only loss came against Barcelona. They however, got victories over all the other teams: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Manchester City, Real Madrid, Valerenga and Sampdoria.
- Manchester United will not be able to rely on Bailly or Jones, who are suspended, but nor on Rojo, Shaw and Young, who are still injured.
Probable line-up: De Gea – Valencia, Lindelöf, Smalling, Blind – Herrera, Matić, Pogba – Rashford, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan
Main prediction : Both teams to score @ 1.71 at Bet365
To be considered : Draw @ 3.55 at Bet365
Real Madrid is a top notch team as far as European experience is concerned, with a much richer history in Europe than Manchester United. As far as the UEFA Super Cup is concerned, the team from Madrid took part in 5 such games and managed to win 3. Meanwhile, the “Red Devils” took part in 3 Super Cups and only secured 1 victory. I expect a very strong contest tonight, in which both teams should apply pressure and goals should be scored at both ends.